- Basic literacy in the early years involves letters, sounds and words. Develop your child’s ‘sight’ vocabulary – this means help your child recognize the shape and meaning of whole words.
- Make them phonic aware – help show them the link between sounds and letter patterns. E.g : pin,tin,sin,fin etc
- Your child needs basic alphabet skills
- There is an important link between reading and copying words, e.g writing them out
- Help your children read and remember a simple rhyme
- Play/have activities that will help your child learn letter sounds and spellings
a) Play I spy b) Tongue twisters c) Have fun with rhyming d)use your environment (sign posts, etc)